What is Confirmation?
By the sacrament of Confirmation, [the baptized] are more perfectly bound to the Church and are enriched with a special strength of the Holy Spirit. Hence they are, as true witnesses of Christ, more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed.
--Catechism of the Catholic Church 1285
Confirmation is a one year program for grades 3 through 12. During the year all participants will prepare for the Sacrament by:
- Participating in Religious Education or Youth Group
- Choosing a Patron Saint
- Attending the Confirmation Retreat
- Choosing a Sponsor
How do I choose a Sponsor?
Sponsors should be chosen by the Confirmation Candidate by October of their second year of preparation. All sponsors will need to complete the Sponsor Recommendation Form, provide a copy of their Baptism Certificate, and have the Recommendation Form signed by their Pastor by October of the second year of preparation.
Sponsors should be:
- At least 16 years of age
- Baptized, Confirmed, received 1st Holy Communion in the Catholic Church
- If married, the Catholic Church considers their marriage valid (married in the Catholic Church or convalidated by a Catholic Church), or if not married they are not living with a significant other
- Participates in Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of obligation, and receives the sacraments of reconciliation and Eucharist regularly.
- Cannot be the parents of the child
3rd-5th Grade Preparation: Students will attend Religious Education classes on Wednesdays either 4:30-5:45pm or 6:30-7:45pm and do the required work at home with their family.
6th-8th Grade Preparation: Students will attend Middle School Youth Group on Wednesdays 6:30-8pm and do the required work at home with their family.
9th-12th Grade Preparation: Students will attend High School Youth Group on Sundays 6:30-8pm.
Registrations for all grades are now open.
Please contact the Parish Office at 635-5800 for more information.