What is Baptism? Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."--- Catechism of the Catholic Church 1213How do I have my child or myself Baptized?
- Be registered members of the parish. Click here to register online for the Parish or call 635-5800 to register at the Parish Office.
- Call the Parish Office and register to attend a Baptismal Preparation Session. These sessions are for the parents of the child to be Baptized and the God Parents. They are held on the second Thursday evening of every month from 7:00-9:00pm. Due to room size, only six couples can attend each class so do not wait to register.
- Schedule the date and time of the Baptism with the Parish Office. Baptisms may be scheduled on the first Sunday of each month at 3:00pm.
How do I choose God Parents? God Parents are chosen by the parents of the child to assist in the responsibility of raising the child in the faith. God Parents must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Baptized, Confirmed, received 1st Holy Communion in the Catholic Church
- If married, the Catholic Church considers their marriage valid (married in the Catholic Church or convalidated by a Catholic Church), or if not married they are not living with a significant other
- Participates in Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of obligation, and receives the sacraments of reconciliation and Eucharist regularly.
- Cannot be the parents of the child
Parents are free to choose to have either one God Parent (either male or female) or two God Parents (one male and one female).For more information or to register for Baptisms, please contact the Parish Office at 635-5800.